[dev] Significant changes

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Mar 2 12:35:07 UTC 2010

Zitat von Michael Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a request from a long-time client who already sponsored a
>> bunch of features in Horde in the past. They request the
>> feasibility  of a bunch of changes for Horde 4 applications to help
>> them decide  if they can keep using Horde in the future. Since some
>> of the  changes are somewhat massive, I'd like to discuss them here
>> to hear  your opinions about those, whether they make sense to you,
>> whether  they conflict with other expectations, etc. I added my own
>> opinions  below where applicable.
>>
>> General
>> -------
>>
>> - Add possibility to add custom help pages, or link to custom help system.
>>
>> Jan: IIRC we already discussed this in the past, especially whether
>>  to move online help to the wiki, and I don't see any problems with
>>  that (the custom link, not the wiki help) if implemented cleanly.
>
>   mjr: This would be a great step in getting better user
> documentation. Speaking for myself, I would be more apt at
> documenting  new features if it didn't involve editing the xml files
> we currently  use.  Thoughts off the top of my head would be to have
> a standardized  link format while allowing the admin to set the
> hostname portion.  Maybe our default documentation could slowly be
> migrated to the wiki,  or maybe it could be shipped with the
> distribution. Either way, moving  away from the xml files would be a
> plus IMO.
>

>> - Layout theming without changing PHP scripts.
>>
>> Jan: Well, we can always dream :) We all know how limited this is,
>> even with our recent CSS-only designs.
>
> mjr: Indeed :)  Though as we move more towards a MVC architecture,
> and  utilize more view templates, this should at least make it
> easier to do  - though they would still be editing "php scripts",
> they would at  least be template located in an easy to find place
> etc... Beyond that,  I don't see this really happening.

I think the main point is to not hide any html output in libraries.
We've done that quite a lot in the past and that's where they
struggled with older Horde versions.

> [...]
>> instead. And honestly: how often do you  compose messages by
>> clicking on an address, instead of using the  reply functionality
>> or open a compose window directly?
>
>  mjr: Agree with Jan.
>
>> - Moving/copying messages by (context?) menu too.
>>
>> - Redirect is missing
>>
>> Jan: should probably be added to the forward menu?
>>
>> - Missing option to deselect all messages
>>
>> Jan: It's as easy as clicking on a message. Could still be added by
>>  toggling the "Select All" option though.
>>
>> - Show either date or arrived column per preference.
>>
>> Jan: Doesn't make sense to me.
>>
>> - Setting default behavior of reply button
>>
>> Jan: I think the current smart behavior is a huge improvement over
>> that. I'm not sure if they have this in their version already, or
>> if  they noticed at all.
>>
>> - Make all context menu actions available through a second way.
>>
>> Jan. No, thanks.
>>
>> - Only mark messages as seen after opening for a (configurable)
>> time  period, so that they aren't marked seen if you just navigate
>> through  the mailbox.
>>
>> Jan: Yes, please.
>
>   mjr: +10
>
>> - Ability to hide mime part details like download option for
>> certain  mime types.
>>
>> - Customization of help message when no message is selected.
>
> mjr: Probably not a big deal to implement, but I'd be hesitant to
> start a trend here. In other words, what makes this dialog text more
>  special then others - I can see this leading to other people asking
>  "Why can't I tweak the text in *this* dialog, since I can do it in
> this other one?"
>

>> - Add explicit "empty trash" link to sidebar.
>>
>> - Find a better place and icon for the folder actions button.
>>
>> - The search icon should start the search instead of opening the
>> context menu.
>>
>> - The search context menu entries are too confusing and should be
>> moved to the advanced search instead.
>>
>> - Improve usability of advance search.
>>
>> Jan: Sure, ideas?
>>
>> - Allow to add custom fields to compose window.
>>
>> - Option to replace HTML editor with a custom editor.
>>
>> Jan: I think we are done with this discussion, right?
>>

>> Ingo
>> ----
>>
>> - Add option to disable/enable all rules at once.
>>
>> Jan: We already have an option to deaktivate the whole script,
>> though this only works with server-side filters.
>>

>> Kronolith
>> ---------
>>
>> - Add option to disable calendar section in the sidebar.
>
> mjr: Probably easy enough to do, but wondering why? If it's to avoid
>  being able to turn on resource intensive calendars (like the
> timeobjects) wouldn't it be better to allow disabling the feature
> that's causing the issues at the source? i.e. Allow a configuration
> switch to turn on / off each applications' listTimeObjects api? I
> guess maybe for maximum flexibility we could do both?

Yes, of course, it didn't make sense to mention this one here.
Sections are disabled if a feature doesn't exist. And if that's not
sufficient, CSS can be used to hide more.

>> - Delete option directly from the calendar views.
>
>   mjr: this would be nice...
>

> Thanks,
> mike
>
> --
> The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
> mrubinsk at horde.org
>
> "Time just hates me. That's why it made me an adult." - Josh Joplin

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/