[dev] Significant changes

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Mar 2 14:07:01 UTC 2010

> >> - Allow to add custom fields to compose window.
> > What custom fields?  Again, this is difficult because various
> > javascript would also have to be changed.  I've mentioned before -
> > by their very nature, AJAX applications are going to be much less
> > customizable than a pure HTML counterpart simply because there are
> > several independent components (PHP, HTML, javascript) working
> > together that can not be altered in a single place.
> Is it not the complete form that's being submitted when a message is
> sent? I.e. do we sent the fields individually as necessary?

I know this is a feature we've wanted in regular IMP for sometime.  A
hook that executes on 'send' from the compose window would be very
useful.  For example we embed a header and a ticket number in messages
generated by our ticket/groupware system - that ticket number header
value [if present] is presented as a link when viewing the message
(which takes the user directly to the ticket in question).  The ability
to provide a field in compose and create the header in manually composed
messages would be very useful [to us anyway].