[dev] Injector musings

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Mar 10 05:37:47 UTC 2010

Ugh... finally getting around to responding.

>> 2.) How do you create an instance with an injector if that
>> instance's constructor has varied arguments?  This seems to be a
>> limitation of Horde_Injector... is this by design or simply because
>> nobody has implemented it yet.
>
> The latter, if I'm following. What I want to add to the injector
> (that came from a completely separate conversation with one of the
> folks who wrote the initial code) is setter injection. In the case
> of the Mime_Viewer objects, different viewers would have setFoo()
> methods for the dependencies that aren't in the constructor (common
> to all Mime_Viewers). The injector would then satisfy those
> dependencies as well on object creation.
>
>> For example, Horde configuration needs to be decoupled from
>> Horde_Mime_Viewer.  However, every Horde_Mime_Viewer instance does
>> not need every single configuration option passed to it that might
>> potentially be used by the drivers.  On the other hand, the drivers
>> may create other Horde_Mime_Viewers internally that may need config
>> options not needed by the original driver.
>
> For this last case the viewer should have a reference to the
> injector. Using setter injection this could be accomplished with a
> setInjector(Horde_Injector $injector) method; the injector would
> know to pass itself to this when creating the object.
>
>> Regardless, it is very useful to keep the instance around since it
>> might be used elsewhere in the code.  A better example of this
>> might be IMP_Contents.  Once initialized, it may be used in various
>> locations around the code that are not accessible to each other.
>> How does this work with injector usage?  Or is this the motivation
>> to retain usage of singletons in this usage pattern?
>
> I'm not sure I entirely follow the question. If the object
> instantiation/initialization is complicated, then a binder or
> factory for it seems appropriate. You can then call getInstance()
> wherever you need it, and the object will be created and initialized
> only once.

Not sure if I am following here.  Maybe a better example is
IMP_Contents.  We only want to instantiate one IMP_Contents object for
each message.  So, for UID 1 in INBOX, today we have the following call:

$contents = IMP_Contents::singleton(1 . IMP::IDX_SEP . 'INBOX');

However, we will most likely use this same object in various locations
throughout IMP.  We don't want to create a new object - this is just a
waste of resources.

Currently, the best we can do (I think) is as follows:

class IMP_Contents {
   function foo(Horde_Injector $injector) {
     return new IMP_Contents($injector->getInstance('UID'));
   }
}

$injector->bindFactory('IMP_Contents', 'IMP_Contents', 'foo');
$injector->setInstance('UID', 1 . IMP::IDX_SEP . 'INBOX');
$contents = $injector->getInstance('IMP_Contents');

That's not optimal since we are removing the UID definition from the
actual getInstance() call.  But that's not a deal breaker.

Where things get a bit hackish is when we need to load UID 2 in the
same session access.  This won't work:
$injector->setInstance('UID', 2 . IMP::IDX_SEP . 'INBOX');
$contents2 = $injector->getInstance('IMP_Contents');

Because $contents2 will be the object containing UID 1.  And I don't
want to use $injector->createInstance() since I want this newly
created instance to be available later (the whole point of a singleton).

Thus, the need for something like:
$contents = $injector->getInstance('IMP_Contents', 1 . IMP::IDX_SEP .
'INBOX');
$contents2 = $injector->getInstance('IMP_Contents', 2 . IMP::IDX_SEP .
'INBOX');

Then later on, when I call
$injector->getInstance('IMP_Contents', 1 . IMP::IDX_SEP . 'INBOX');

I will get the $contents object that was previously instantiated.

>> 3.) Configuration buried deep within core library functions is
>> troublesome.  Example - Horde_Auth::setAuth(), which contains a
>> call to Net_DNS_Resolver, which may potentially be configured via
>> Horde's config file.  setAuth() is called from a variety of
>> locations, and is also called internally by a variety of other
>> library calls.  Passing the resolver object as a parameter isn't
>> really doable and would be a giant step back in usability.  And it
>> isn't possible to pass the resolver object to Horde_Auth since it
>> is not setup to be OO for this kind of use.  Even if we convert to
>> an OO-model, Horde_Auth is called from so many places that if we
>> have to add additional parameters to 10's or 100's of calls, this
>> seems like a step back.
>
> It seems like the static usage of Horde_Auth is a barrier here. If
> Horde_Auth were used non-statically then you could get a reference
> to it from the injector and then do what you needed without worrying
> about objects. We can also make things like the current username
> (getAuth) available as properties where appropriate so that they
> don't require accessing an object and a method call.
>
> As an aside, I think one of the reasons there are potentially 100's
> of static Horde_Auth calls to worry about here is because of the
> kind of boilerplate code you've been arguing for
> removing/consolidating. In short: I agree. :)
>
> At that point it doesn't seem unreasonable to pass the
> Net_DNS_Resolver object to Horde_Auth through either setter or
> constructor injection.

Yeah - Horde_Auth should probably be fully non-static.  It would
facilitate passing it around in the future.

>> My solution was to set a static public member variable to a
>> Net_DNS_Resolver object via the Horde_Registry.  It seems a bit
>> hackish, but also seems like the cleanest/easiest way to decouple
>> the configuration from the library.  Comments/concerns on this
>> approach is much appreciated.
>
> Why not have a binder or factory to create the Net_DNS_Resolver
> object? I know this answer might not matter if Horde_Auth is still
> used statically, but see above.

It probably will work.  My hackish solution was just substantially
easier to implement in the midterm. :)

michael