[dev] DB Migration questions

Ben Klang ben at alkaloid.net
Tue May 25 18:32:44 UTC 2010

On May 25, 2010, at 5:17 AM, Jan Schneider wrote:

> There is still another "problem" though. Upgrade scripts in development vs. stable versions. I suggest that we do it similarly like we do it now. We just have to keep track of schema versions. Example:
>
> In dev version:
> 4_add_some_missing_index.php
> 5_add_a_new_column.php
> 6_drop_another_one.php
>
> This should be a single script in stable versions, but the schema version must match. I suggest that we even round the number up to the next tens. This looks cleaner and could even help for debugging:
>
> 10_app_x_to_y.php

Does it really have to be that manual?  Why not just make as many small schema versions as are necessary during development.  For example, IMP 5.0 may be at schema version 127 and 5.1 may be at 139.  As we develop, we can run the upgrade script as often as necessary to move between intermediate versions.

/BAK/

--
Ben Klang
Alkaloid Networks LLC