[dev] "Recipient address does not match the currently selected identity"

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Jul 7 04:29:20 UTC 2010

> This seems rather unfriendly. First of all the error message is
> confusing; even knowing the code I didn't know what it could mean.
> It might be okay if it was smart enough to somehow know which
> addresses were list addresses and which weren't, but it's not. I've
> seen this:

Very confused by this statement.  IMP isn't smart enough to figure out
whether the message is a list message or not - more accurately, IMP
doesn't care.  It is the *user* who explicitly determines this via
their identity preferences.

This recipient checking feature has *nothing* to do with list
addresses - it deals solely with tied addresses.  OTOH, list addresses
are probably the main thing tied addresses are useful for.

> - when sending to one of my email addresses from another (why do I
> need to do that? probably no reason, though pgp could be one. but
> why should it ever fail, or require me to "tie" addresses? what does
> tieing an address mean, anyway?). None of my personal addresses are
> list addresses.

As far as tied addresses - if you are unsure of what they are then
this is probably bad news on our part re: documentation since tied
addresses have been around for 6-7 years.  A tied address indicates
what identity to use when replying to a message.  It is a list of From
e-mail addresses that are used, at the time of replying, to determine
what the default identity should be.

IIRC, the recipient checking algorithm is as follows:
1. If the message is not being sent to a single e-mail, don't do
identity check.
2. Generate a hash of addresses for each identity.  The key is the
identity e-mail address, the value is all of the e-mail addresses tied
to the identity address **including the identity e-mail itself**
(This is pseudo code - the actual code is optimized and an in-memory
hash isn't created)
3. Find e-mail address in the hash generated in Step 2.  If the
identity is not the same as the identity used to send the message,
output a warning.

The issue you have raised has to do with including the identity e-mail
itself in the the list of addresses for an identity.  You've raised a
case that seems to indicate that these e-mail addresses should be
excluded from this list.

> - when sending to my wife and my shared email address (which I also
> have an identity to send from) - I suppose you could argue that this
> is a "list" address, but I don't buy it.

Sounds like the same issue as above.

> - in the case already outlined. I can delete my identity for
> core at horde.org, but going back to your explanation - I haven't set
> up any of my identities to be tied to anything, as far as I know. So
> why am I seeing this error?

This still sounds like the same issue.  Obviously, if no tied
addresses are available, we shouldn't be doing this check so if that's
not happening, it is a bug.

But I firmly believe that if any tied addresses are being used, this
check MUST be mandatory (i.e. no pref to turn this off) .  That's kind
of the whole purpose of using tied addresses in the first place.

michael