[dev] Disable sidebar by default

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Jul 23 21:02:59 UTC 2010

>> The new sidebar code is good now that we got rid of frames.  But it
>> is bad because it has to be regenerated every time a page is
>> loaded.  This is quite a bit of extra load.  Enough so that I
>> wonder if sidebar should be disabled by default.  Alternatively, we
>> need to do some sort of caching of the tree so that it does not
>> need to be rebuilt on every page click.  Maybe do absolute time
>> caching (e.g. we only rebuild the tree every 'refresh_time' minutes
>> - when the page is loaded, the next refresh will be the difference
>> between the next refresh time and the current time).
>
> That would lose us the realtime message count updates, but maybe
> certain aspects could be more dynamic than others.
>
> I agree with Jan that it shouldn't be disabled by default.

I'm thinking we need to rewrite Horde_Block for the sidebar; since
portal blocks/widgets aren't anything close to the same as sidebar
block/widgets.  This code needs to be H4'ified anyway, and should
probably be moved to Horde_Core.

Then each individual sidebar block could indicate whether its results
can be cached or not for each session.  Example: if folder polling is
disabled in IMP, we could used cached results to display the sidebar
widget (folder creation/deletion could trigger a manual deletion of
the cached result so that the folder list is accurately displayed).

michael