[dev] Forking as a feature

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sun Sep 26 16:58:01 UTC 2010

> Interesting essay:
>
> http://dashes.com/anil/2010/09/forking-is-a-feature.html

I don't find it as interesting as the discussion that spawns in the
comments. Actually I find the article rather weak because he only
describes the status quo and considers it good. He doesn't provide any
reasoning *why* he considers this new style of forking good.

And by no means he convinced me. I'm rather with some of the
commenters and still see the fork feature of github as a weakening
point for projects hosted there. I agree that sometimes it's great to
have an easier way to fork a project, especially if the project stalls
or the developers reject too many patches.

But in most cases a patch queue of some sort makes much more sense.
This is from a code *user's* point of view. Because at the moment you
end up with a few dozen forks, and without any guidance have to decide
as a user which ones make sense. There are forks that are quicker
abandoned than you can say "spoon", others that are obsolete because
their changes have already been incorporated upstream, with no way to
find out, and most of them don't merge any upstream progressions.

I'm really curious how this is going to evolve, but at the moment I'm
still more than sceptic that this does any good to OSS developement,
at least for most of the projects.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/