[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. fa8d644f8ca59a43056e5eae668ff1699d36be24

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Nov 30 18:06:24 UTC 2010

Zitat von Vilius ?umskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:

>> commit fa8d644f8ca59a43056e5eae668ff1699d36be24
>> Author: Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>
>> Date:   Tue Nov 30 15:41:59 2010 +0100
>>
>>     Remove charset methods.
>>
>>     They are only implemented in the MySQL drivers anyway and using SET
>>     NAMES causes more problems than it solves. Actually it breaks the
>>     current share driver.
>
> Does this mean that it will not be implemented and we are stuck with
> ISO-8859-1 connection charsets forever? Horde is the only
> professional application which doesn't use charsets correctly on DB
> level.

DB charset handling has always worked fine in Horde. I removed this
stuff from Horde_Db because we spent almost an hour with two
developers to find out why we had some broken charset conversions with
the current Horde_Db code. We tried to align the MySQL documentation
with the behavior we've been seeing in different environments, to no
avail. It doesn't work as documented, and it doesn't work well either.
In the end, after we removed the SET NAMES call, everything started to
work properly again, with old data, with new data, with UTF-8 data,
with Latin1 data.

Unless someone comes up with a convincing explanation, why SET NAMES
is really necessary, and shows me consistent, working, documented
behavior with different charsets and existing as well as new data,
plus an implementation that works with other databases too and with
the way we do charset conversions in Horde, this won't be added back.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/