[dev] Api consistency for share listing

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Dec 6 08:26:48 UTC 2010

Zitat von "Michael J.Rubinsky" <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>>> Agreed. Can you create a ticket on bugs.horde.org so it doesn't
>>> get forgotten about?
>>
>> We should probably have both: a generic listShares() method in all
>> apps that support shares, and (still consistent)
>> listCalendars/Tasklists/Etc() methods for the specific applications.
>
> What would the difference(s) be between these two? If it is that one
> method returns the actual share object, is that something we really
> want to do via the API? Having an application-level object be
> returned via the API doesn't make much sense to me.  Alternatively,
> if we want the information available in the share object, we could
> return some sort of array/hash/json/whatever representation of the
> object properties, not the object itself.
>
> Or, are you just suggesting that we have a listShares() method that
> is just an alias of list[Calendars|Tasklist]()?

No, I indeed want listShares() to return the shares. It doesn't matter
if they contain application-specific information, as long as they all
extend the general Share object. I still see this useful because we
might want to operate on the application shares from a central place
at one point, e.g. in a share editor in the admin sections.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/