[dev] getLanguageCharset

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Jan 4 14:21:07 UTC 2011

Zitat von Ronan SALMON <rsalmon at mbpgroup.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> using IMP5.0-git traditional mode, when I compose a new message, I
> can't send the euro sign. The charset seems to be *guessed* over
> here :
>
> framework/Core/lib/Horde/Registry.php: function getLanguageCharset()
>
> this function will return charset 'ISO-8859-1' if everything else fails.
>
> Shouldn't this return 'UTF8' ? (or at least 'ISO-8859-15')

It might make sense to default this to UTF-8 too now, but this is
completely unrelated and doesn't have anything to do with the message
sending charset. We explicitly don't want to use UTF-8 there, but the
language's preferred email charset, to achieve best interoperability
with other, not-so-capable email clients.

If you want to use the euro sign, set your message charset to
iso-8859-15. One might still argue whether it makes more sense to -15
instead of -1 at least for West-European languages, but I don't have a
good answer for this.

We already require the *local* system to support UTF-8 in Horde 4. I'm
not sure if the world is ready for us to require *remote* systems to
support UTF-8 too.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/