[dev] getLanguageCharset

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Jan 4 19:25:31 UTC 2011

> Zitat von Vilius ?umskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:
>
>> Sveiki,
>>
>> Tuesday, January 4, 2011, 4:21:07 PM, you wrote:
>>
>>> We already require the *local* system to support UTF-8 in Horde 4. I'm
>>> not sure if the world is ready for us to require *remote* systems to
>>> support UTF-8 too.
>>
>> I'm  sure  most  modern email clients will handle UTF-8 well. I cannot
>> think of one that doesn't.
>
> Especially freemailers used to cause a lot of problems. If people
> agree that is not a real-life issue anymore, I'm more than happy to
> hardcode the sending charset to UTF-8. This would solve a lot of
> problems and saves a bunch of conversions.

I would still like there to be a sending_charset preference - just in
case there might be some reason an admin/user wants to change.

But this value should default to 'UTF-8', should be an advanced
preference, and should be locked by default.  Additionally, I am
removing the charset selection widget from the IMP compose screen.  It
is inconsistent with dimp (which doesn't allow the charset to be set),
and is worthless to most users.  The proper (and only) way to change
the charset should be through the sending_charset preference.

michael