[dev] Dealing with Exceptions

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Tue Jan 11 17:10:41 UTC 2011

Zitat von Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:

> [...]
>>> exception class for all horde code, so that consumers (whether
>>> those are horde applications or external code using some horde
>>> library) can implement some catch-all for any exceptions thrown by
>>> horde code.
>>
>> As I argued above such a catch-all wouldn't be necessary if the
>> libraries only throw exceptions specific to this library.
>>
>>> I see that it makes sense to throw special purpose PHP/SPL
>>> extensions though, and we actually do this, which is inconsistent
>>> again. But that's not the inconsistency I care about right now.
>>>
>>> What I mean with consistency is that all horde exceptions should
>>> behave the same way. You may know that
>>> Horde_Kolab_Format_Exception is never going to wrap another
>>> extension/php error/pear error. But I don't. We have so many
>>> libraries, each using its own exception class, and I don't want do
>>> look up each exception's class definition to see how I have to use
>>> it, when I'm going to fix/code something in some arbitrary
>>> library. I want to be sure that any Horde exception class is
>>> working the same, so I can wrap it around any of the
>>> errors/exceptions that might occur during PHP development.
>>>
>>> This helps a lot during development and it doesn't add much
>>> overhead either. All library exceptions should extend a common
>>> horde exception anyway, and whether this is Horde_Exception or
>>> Horde_Exception_Prior doesn't really matter.
>>
>> If that is the consistency we seek (and Micheal S. confirmed that
>> he has similar needs) then I would say the most consistent
>> interface we can get is the one the base PHP Exception class
>> provides. This is even known to all PHP developers that don't know
>> Horde. And in case a package needs to use the feature of previous
>> exceptions it must extend Horde_Exception as we want to support PHP
>> 5.2.
>>
>> The drawbacks I see with this approach:
>>
>> - You can't catch Exceptions generically. But for all I know this
>> is only necessary if the called library has issues and passes
>> exceptions from lower levels without catching them. This basically
>> repeats my initial argument on how layered exceptions should work.
>>
>> - When using previous exceptions you always have to set a message
>> and a code. You can't omit that and if you want to reuse the
>> original message and code you have to use "throw new
>> Horde_Xyz_Exception($e->getMessage(), $e->getCode(), $e);". I
>> believe in most cases it actually makes sense to use a new message
>> and a new code as the context is different from the original source
>> of the error.
>>
>> The advantages I see:
>>
>> - no unnecessary dependencies
>>
>> - forces us to use a decent layered exception approach
>>
>> - very consistent exception interface known to all devs familiar with PHP5
>
> Maybe there's some misunderstanding. We don't need the consistency
> when catching and using Exceptions, but when *throwing* exceptions.
> And the base Exception is not offering the convenience wrappers that

I was referring to the throwing of exceptions, yes. The lack of the
convenience wrappers was what I considered a potential drawback. But
to me this is less important than the dependency that I feel is not
required. And I would like to see us developing libraries that only
throw exceptions specific to that library.

> I don't have any problems with all Horde libraries requiring a
> dependency on the Horde_Exception package either.

So, as everyone seems to be okay with adding this dependency I'll
probably better shut up now - ... and try to reopen it once PHP 5.2 is
a thing of the past ;)

Thanks for the feedback.

Gunnar

--