[dev] Dashboard and anchoring the apps in Horde4

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Wed Feb 2 08:39:45 UTC 2011

Am Dienstag 01 Februar 2011, 23:33:50 schrieb Gunnar Wrobel:
> Hi!
>
> I recently created a demo server setup for the current Horde4 version
> which will hopefully also go online as demo.horde.org soon. Looking at
> the full groupware stack in action as available from our current git
> checkout raises a few questions concerning the current user interface.
>
> My main source of confusion:  What could or should be the anchoring
> point for the different applications within Horde4?
>
> If I look at our groupware bundle then I would say that the intial
> "Dashboard" or "Portal" should be provided by the "horde" base
> application and "horde" should also provide the framework that allows
> switching between applications and accessing generic functionality.
>
> Right now both dynamic imp and kronolith seem to be able to provide
> the same anchoring functionality by displaying other apps in their
> viewport - at least concerning the static apps.
>
> Both apps are unable to display each other in their viewport though
> and resort to a full switch of the application in case you select
> "Imp" from within "Kronolith" and vice versa. Do we really intend to
> allow both Imp and Kronolith to be "the" base application for a Horde
> installation?
>
> With the capabilities of the "horde" application added to the mix it
> is currently easy to generate a setup that behaves totally weird when
> it comes to switching applications.
>
> Do we already have a set of ideas on how to tackle this specific
> problem? Do we aim for a single app being the frame around all other
> apps?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gunnar

Hi Gunnar, I always thought the classic horde menu+portal will sometimes be
revamped somehow and then the D-applications would integrate more neatly.

That's what Jan said on this issue:
----
Jan Schneider <j... at horde.org> (2009-02-06 18:27) wrote:

We will probably have a single Ajax portal in the future, but we won't
link the old portal into new Ajax applications.
---
This is currently not the case and even the "portal" of dimp ignores the
settings of horde portal (as of H3, didn't check in H4).
Another way would be to make some API "provides Portal" and allow a permanent
selection between the providers -- but that would need refactoring in the D-
applications to provide their proprietary menu points in a more abstract way
to this API.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer