[dev] Dashboard and anchoring the apps in Horde4

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Feb 7 14:40:27 UTC 2011

> Quoting Gunnar Wrobel <p at rdus.de>:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I recently created a demo server setup for the current Horde4
>> version which will hopefully also go online as demo.horde.org soon.
>> Looking at the full groupware stack in action as available from our
>> current git checkout raises a few questions concerning the current
>> user interface.
>>
>> My main source of confusion:  What could or should be the anchoring
>> point for the different applications within Horde4?
>>
>> If I look at our groupware bundle then I would say that the intial
>> "Dashboard" or "Portal" should be provided by the "horde" base
>> application and "horde" should also provide the framework that
>> allows switching between applications and accessing generic
>> functionality.
>>
>> Right now both dynamic imp and kronolith seem to be able to provide
>> the same anchoring functionality by displaying other apps in their
>> viewport - at least concerning the static apps.
>>
>> Both apps are unable to display each other in their viewport though
>> and resort to a full switch of the application in case you select
>> "Imp" from within "Kronolith" and vice versa. Do we really intend
>> to allow both Imp and Kronolith to be "the" base application for a
>> Horde installation?
>>
>> With the capabilities of the "horde" application added to the mix
>> it is currently easy to generate a setup that behaves totally weird
>> when it comes to switching applications.
>>
>> Do we already have a set of ideas on how to tackle this specific
>> problem? Do we aim for a single app being the frame around all
>> other apps?
>
> I don't think any app should frame all other apps. I think each
> dynamic app should be as consistent as possible in its *general*
> frame, and that the main Horde dashboard should provide the "portal"
> type functionality, with a similar frame.

It's still required for SAPO and makes (only) sense for any other
installation where the main application is either the webmail or the
calendar, with the other apps just being small helpers.
We should add a configuration switch for this case though, because it
won't fit the needs of the majority.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/