[dev] default backends

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Mon Feb 14 20:24:03 UTC 2011

Sveiki,

> - Why are we forcing changes to be in the *.local.php files anyway?
> This only makes sense if installing from git.  Most users will be
> directly editing the default files and this isn't a bad thing.  If we
> are concerned about changing/adding default values when upgrading, I
> don't believe this has really been a problem in the past.

> Forcing changes to *.local.php instead of *.php just makes things that
> much more complicated.  I can't really think of another project that
> requires people to do this.  And it sort of defeats the whole purpose
> of storing the default "config" files in config/ in the first place.
> These new default files are instead hardcoded values and if users
> really aren't supposed to be touching them, they should be nowhere
> near the config/ directory.

As an ex-admin I agree here with Michael completely. Usually what I do
when upgrading, is:

1. Backup whole Horde tree.
2. cvs/git update it.
3.  diff the new config files with backup config files for changes and
adjust new files accordingly.

Actually   I think old system with .dist files was very convenient for
administrators, but I can
see  why enabling and preconfiguring numerous backends by default could be a good
thing for Horde newbies.
--
Best regards,
 Vilius