[dev] default backends

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Thu Feb 17 22:47:10 UTC 2011

>> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>>
>>> - Why are we forcing changes to be in the *.local.php files
>>> anyway?  This only makes sense if installing from git.  Most users
>>> will be directly editing the default files and this isn't a bad
>>> thing.  If we are concerned about changing/adding default values
>>> when upgrading, I don't believe this has really been a problem in
>>> the past.
>>
>> The reasons for this are:
>> - To simplify installation. Having admins going to each
>> application's config/ directory and copying each and every .dist
>> files is an uncecessary step.
>
> But in practical terms, you are still requiring this.  Using the IMP
> backends file as an example, the default is useful to quickly try
> out the application.  But I would say that easily more than 50% of
> the people won't want to use the defaults as they move to
> production.  (As an aside, the default for IMP is broken right now
> for any RFC 3501 compliant IMAP server since plaintext logins MUST
> be disabled by default).  So they are still going to need to go to
> the config file, copy over the file to local.php, and edit it.
>
>> - To simplify configuration. If we have sane defaults 99% of the
>> admins won't change anything in any configuration file.
>
> I agree with this, but this is only important on the initial install
> not an upgrade.
>
> And I still maintain that, for something like backends.php in IMP,
> it is now MORE difficult to make configuration changes.  It is now
> at least a 3-step process to add an IMAP backend (create
> backends.local.php if not already existing; create entry; login to
> Horde as admin; activate server in config screen (which may require
> cut/paste into a terminal window)).  And it is at least a 2-step
> process to activate an IMAP backend that already exists - because
> going to the web config page, how am I supposed to know what
> "Advanced IMAP Server" means?  What server exactly am I activating?
> It is necessary to login to the server and visually inspect the
> backends.php file.
>
> You could obviously rewrite the config code to show more details in
> the config screen, but at that point you might as well just move the
> backends configuration into the config file anyway.
>
> My alternative: I would like to see activation of the servers occur
> in the config file itself (e.g. what I committed to IMP a few days
> ago).

Here I'm with Michael - this confused me when I updated Turba. I think
having an 'active' boolean in the array would be great, and could
easily be overridden in the .local.php file without editing the main
file - everything is disabled in the main file, for example, and
things are selectively enabled in *.local.php. Or vice versa, etc.

-chuck