[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. 4dbc410dcbf1ec823ff6e1b1199f6233f40d30d9

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Feb 21 21:24:12 UTC 2011

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>
>> 5005f22 RFC 3282: Add language header when sending a message
>
> It's a bit couragous to gather from the interface language to the
> content language. I feel personally insulted. ;-)

Not entirely.  I agree that I was a bit aggressive to assume message
text created by a user will be in the same language of the interface -
so that is an incorrect assumption.  BUT... the code could be tweaked
so that if the user does a spellcheck on the message text, we DO know
what language the message is in.  And for canned messages (e.g.
auto-generated messages from gettext strings), we also know the
language.

> No, honestly, if you really want to add this, you need to implement
> some language detection, e.g.
> http://pear.php.net/package/Text_LanguageDetect/. But what's the use
> of this header at all? Seems to be adding overhead for nothing.

I can actually think of several things you can do with the
information.  It can be informational ("This message is in Spanish";
display flag icon for message).  Or it can provide the default spell
check language value when composing a message back to this user.

More important, it is irrelevant what uses WE can make for the header;
it is the uses we haven't thought of that are important.  (And it is
important enough that the IMAP spec goes out of its way to provide
this information when doing a BODYSTRUCTURE command).  RFC 3282 is a
well-established header so we should support it as much as possible.

What intrigues me is the other header defined in RFC 3282:
Accept-Language.  I definitely see IMP/Horde having a preference
listing languages that are acceptable for conversations; this list of
languages is used in generating the Accept-Language header; an MUA can
then inform the recipient that the sender prefers replies in the
following languages.

michael