[dev] Version naming and PEAR installer

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Mar 1 16:29:31 UTC 2011

Hi,

since the default installation method for Horde 4 will be through the
PEAR installer, I've played a lot with its channel support recently.

I noticed that the PEAR installer doesn't support the versioning
scheme that we used so far. Instead of:

IMP H4 (5.0-ALPHA) resp. imp-h4-5.0-alpha.tar.gz

the PEAR standards require version names like:

5.0.0alpha1 resp. imp-5.0.0alpha1.tgz

To the rescue comes a feature of the PEAR installer that allows to add
custom package validators for channels. Unfortunately, this feature
obviously has never been tested and is completely broken. So much that
you can't either build nor install packages that use a custom validator.
So I've fixed the PEAR installer too, as well as the PEAR server that
didn't play nicely with our version names either. I'm confident that
those fixes will be incorporated with their next releases.

BUT! This would require anyone installing Horde to upgrade to an (yet
to be released) PEAR version first. This could be done through a
dependency in our packages, so the user will get notified about that,
etc. But he still has to upgrade. OTOH some users might need to
upgrade anyway, since we require some level of channel support. The
minimum installer version we currently require (even though this
version hasn't really been tested with Horde yet) is 1.7.0. Some
distributions still provide earlier versions.

So, the question is, do we want to stick to our well established
version naming, to make the transition from H3 to H4 easier for users
that are already used to our versioning?
Or do we change to PEAR versioning style, to lower dependencies for
installing Horde?

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/