[dev] imp - large INBOX

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Mar 15 16:45:39 UTC 2011

Quoting Rick Romero <rick at havokmon.com>:

>>> A couple times I've seen odd issue with IMP and DIMP Accessing my
>>> INBOX (>650 msgs), and I would get 'Error when communicating with
>>> the server' or 'Unable to generate message list' - and I see an
>>> empty INBOX.
>>>
>>> In my lighttpd logs I see:
>>> 2011-03-14 09:52:03: (mod_fastcgi.c.2701) FastCGI-stderr: PHP
>>> Fatal error:  Call to a member function getEnvelope() on a
>>> non-object in
>>> /usr/local/www/data/horde_git/horde/framework/Imap_Client/lib/Horde/Imap/Client/Socket.php on line
>>> 1947
>>>
>>> So I threw an if is_object() before that line, and enclosed the
>>> rest in braces, and it appears to work now.   In IMP, I get a
>>> message list and can move around normally - though it's not
>>> sorted.  In DIMP, everything seems to be working correctly.
>>
>> Fixed.  Problem was in the client-side sorting (most recent IMAP
>> servers allow server-side sorting so this code is rarely accessed).
>>

> Ok. So I verified I have SORT in my CAPABILITIES:
> 1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID
> ENABLE IDLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS
> MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED
> I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN
> CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS COMPRESS=DEFLATE QUOTA] Logged in
>
> SORT and THREAD are only shown after login.  Is that why IMP didn't
> see it?  (dovecot 2.0.7)

The Horde Imap Client handles this situation just fine.  In fact, IIRC
I actually helped Timo fix some broken behavior when it came to this
in Dovecot.

Although looking at the code, detection of whether server side sorting
is available is a bit muddled.  Maybe my recent commit helps?   Best
way of verifying is to sort a mailbox by From/To and look for a line
like this in the IMAP logs (make sure mailbox is not cached):

(1300207276.2820) C: 3 UID SORT RETURN (ALL COUNT) (DISPLAYFROM) US-ASCII ALL

michael