[dev] Fwd: [horde] Fwd: Case insensitive unique key

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sat May 7 08:49:17 UTC 2011

> Seems like the consensus is for lowercasing/normalizing. And no one
> speaking against it. Can we consider this a done decision?

Yes, I think so.

> Are we set up to make this change in the develop branch?

I'm not sure if we should do this for Horde 4.1 or rather wait for Horde 5?

Also, there are some technical things to ponder, i.e. do we normalize
before or after authentication? If after authentication, what to do
with "hordeauth"? Use the original or normalized name? Depending on
the implementation, this might be a BC break, so it's possible it has
to wait for H5.

This could be done in a feature branch in any case though.

> ----- Forwarded message from Vilius ?umskas <vilius at lnk.lt> -----
>    Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 15:38:51 +0300
>    From: Vilius ?umskas <vilius at lnk.lt>
> Subject: Re: [horde] Fwd: [dev] Case insensitive unique key
>      To: horde at lists.horde.org

>>> I have always used a hook to lowercase all usernames. I had confused
>>> users say that their preferences were gone because they logged in with a
>>> different case for their username. So I decided they should all be
>>> lowercase.
>>>
>>> Andy
>>
>> We had to do the same thing in the past (force lowercase) as well as
>> removing spaces from the start and end of userids.
>>
>> So I agree with normalizing.
>
> +1 from me. I also agree that using trim() on the username is
> another good idea. Not sure why IMAP servers allow to login with
> usernames with spaces.
>
> --
>    Vilius

> ----- End forwarded message -----