[dev] Fwd: [horde] Fwd: Case insensitive unique key

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon May 9 22:27:14 UTC 2011

>> Quoting Vilius ?umskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:
>>
>>> Sveiki,

>>> I ment why it cannot be normalized for Horde *and* for IMP too?
>>
>> How would this work?  IMAP names are case sensitive.  The proposal
>> is for Horde names to be case insensitive.  Obviously, these don't
>> play well with each other.
>
> Except the whole point of surveying people was to see if anyone out
> there actually *uses* the fact that IMAP usernames are case sensitive.

I guess I didn't make this clear then - count me in this group.  I
have dealt with an installation within the last month that use
case-sensitive user names.  So it does exist.

This particular installation doesn't care how the Horde usernames map
to the IMAP usernames - the IMAP usernames are the canonical
usernames.  But from what I can tell from this proposed change, this
can no longer happen since the username will be passed to IMP in all
lower case.  Which will prevent anyone from logging in.

And we have had people in the past report issues on the lists that
turned out to be authentication errors due to case-sensitivity of
usernames.  So this is not an isolated installation.

These IMAP servers thus become unusable with IMP.  The fact that an
IMAP server *may* have some setting that turns off case-sensitivity,
or ignores case in usernames in general, is irrelevant because it is
not universal, and it can't be guaranteed.  All sorts of folks use
IMAP servers that they don't control - this would foreclose using a
bunch of these.

Not to mention that e-mail addresses are also case-sensitive (RFC 5322
[3.4.1]; more accurately, they are "domain-dependent")  So
auto-generating e-mail addresses from Horde usernames will also be
broken.

michael