[dev] Fwd: [horde] Fwd: Case insensitive unique key

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Sat May 14 05:13:12 UTC 2011

> Quoting Gonçalo Queirós <goncalo.queiros at portugalmail.net>:
>
>> Why not stick with the hook fix? It could even be activated by default,
>> thus bringing problems to fewer people (the ones with case sensitive IMAP)?
>
> That wouldn't help us really, because we'd still have to handle the
> case of "Chuck" and "chuck" potentially being different users in
> other Horde applications.

I would not necessarily be opposed to normalizing for purposes of
Horde (e.g. getAuth() returns Horde username), but storing the
original login username for applications that are specifically marked
as requiring case-sensitive usernames (e.g. IMP).

Although I think we already *sort* of have this.
Horde_Registry::getAuth() returns the Horde username.  This is the
username that I believe is intended to be normalized.  But
Horde_Registry::getAuth('original') would return the "username used to
originally login to Horde".  So that should retain case sensitivity
(or, better yet, Horde_Registry::getAuthCredential('username',
'imp')).  So maybe my objection is simply unnecessary noise and we
already do have the framework necessary to pull this off without
breaking things...

michael