[dev] documentation folder for applications

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Fri Jul 1 18:18:30 UTC 2011

Am Freitag, 1. Juli 2011, 17:11:27 schrieb Jan Schneider:
> Zitat von Vilius ?umskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've noticed that most released applications install their
> > documentation into /usr/share/pear/doc. Is there another good reason
> > for this except that "all PEAR packages install documentation into
> > pear/doc"? I can justify why this is OK for libraries, but in my
> > opinion INSTALL/UPGRADING documentation for applications should be
> > installed into application root folder. Because it is really
> > uncommon for the administrators to find documentation in
> > /usr/share/pear/doc. Especially for administrators of web
> > applications (even if they are distrubuted through PEAR).
>
> Good question. Policy-wise they should be using the docs role and thus
> being installed to PEAR's doc folder. But I could see us ignoring that
> and using the horde role instead, if that is consensus.
>
> Jan.

Actually, when packaging for distribution I change the doc_dir value to the
system's doc path. Docs are ending up where the docs of rpm packages are
expected to be.

I see it reasonable to have a pear package's docs where pear package docs are
expected, too.

As I understand the horde role, it's mainly a role for web-accessible parts,
right?

I see no need to have docs in a web-accessible dir (and possible reverting
this with a .htaccess file)

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer