[dev] Documenting components

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Sun Jul 3 20:14:06 UTC 2011

Hi!

I would like to release the "components" helper soon. The final
element that I would like to add is a helper for handling component
documentation.

At some point the idea was to allow editing component documentation on
the Horde wiki and to allow downloading it via the components tool
into the "doc" directory of a component. Here it would of course be
part of the distributed PEAR package. The files in the "doc" directory
should also allow generating PDF and HTML output. A PDF manual could
be part of a distributed PEAR component and the HTML output might be
added to our website (see our current applications).

Looking at our applications and the formats available to support the
features mentioned above it seems to make most sense to use rst
(reStructuredText) for the files in the "doc" directory. The only
critical element missing at the moment would be support for exporting
the rst format from our wiki.

So I'm tempted to add that but would like to know first if it really
makes sense.

Does the above procedure for handling component documentation sound
reasonable? Anything major that should be taken into consideration?
Any alternatives to implementing rst output in the wiki?

There are of course a lot of small things that would still need to be
fleshed out. Like the way documentation is organized on the wiki to be
recognizable and downloadable by the components helper. Or how it
would be integrated into our website.

Happy about any feedback,

Gunnar

--