[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. 4fd2c31bf65accb6717f1330cbd8cc2b3ef1c9ba

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Fri Aug 5 03:03:13 UTC 2011

>> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>>
>>> What I still really don't like is getting rid of CHANGES entries
>>> in our git tree until after a release. I still say it is useful
>>> for seeing what framework packages have changed since the last
>>> release. Unless the component script can give us an easy way to
>>> output those changes, *before* the release process, I'd like to
>>> see us keep them. Keep them off the website if you like, but I'd
>>> like to keep them in our tree.
>>
>> How is this any different than looking at the package.xml file?
>
> Because I don't want to have to look at the package.xml file for
> every framework package to see which one has changes. The way it is
> now, with the framework changes in horde/docs/CHANGES it's very easy
> to see which package has had changes since the last Horde release.
> The Horde package.xml file did not contain these changes.

The current plan seems to be to autogenerate the list of changes to be
put into docs/CHANGES right before a release. The same operation could
of course be done at any time in order to just display what changed so
far and what would be added to the CHANGES file if it would be release
time. So you would run a short components command to get this list.

Just to be certain that I understand what the functionality that would
be added to horde-components should be.

We would ...

1) Reduce "horde-components changed" to only touch the package.xml

2) Add "horde-components changelog" that would

   i) Determine the timepoint of the last package release either by
git tag or package.xml timestamp.

   ii) Go to all first level dependencies of the package and determine
the releases since the above timestamp.

   iii) Grab the changelog lines from the dependency releases that occured.

   iv) Add or display those changelog lines - annotated with package
name and release version.

Is that correct?

What seems to be a bit fuzzy are the dependencies that
horde-components should consider for this operation. I assume "horde"
is special and we wan't to consider not only the first-level
dependencies but rather the full hierarchy - at least as long as the
packages are prefixed with "Horde_". For the applications we probably
only want the first level dependencies but exclude "horde"? And the
bundles would get the full hierarchy?

Cheers,

Gunnar