[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. caa4ce605d02e25c82f841a853884b1c6be2b945

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Aug 8 21:24:24 UTC 2011

Zitat von Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>> Isn't that merge a BC break? I'm pretty sure things will break if
>> you only update either of jqm or the mobile apps?
>
> Ugh, this *really* stinks because now that means we are stuck with
> an extremely outdated, buggy alpha version of our mobile
> applications until Horde 5.
>
> I know we have some potential clients willing to pay to complete the
> mobile apps' functionality. In all honesty though, I'm not sure how
> happy I am continuing to code new functionality into those
> applications, knowing it's already outdated and buggy. Then have
> even more code to have to refactor when we move to Horde 5. Given
> how much the device support has improved, and will continue to
> improve until release, I'm not sure we can justify not making the
> switch.
>
> Since they were built against such an early alpha and were lacking
> functionality, I essentially saw the mobile apps as a poc, and I
> don't see an issue with doing this. It doesn't break any
> functionality in Horde other than the mobile application views. If
> people want fully functional mobile apps, they need the latest
> releases.
>
> I would feel differently if the jqm library was stable when we
> released it, but telling users/clients that they have to wait until
> Horde 5 for their mobile app bug to be fixed, or their device to
> work with our mobile apps because we are still running an early
> alpha of the library is just, IMO, unacceptable. If we want to wait
> until jqm is 1.0 stable before we do this, then I can agree to that,
> but I can't agree with waiting until Horde 5 to do any of this.
> Unless we release Horde 5 in the _near_ future.

I guess we can consider the current mobile apps beta-level preview
versions. That, and if I've seen correctly, you only *removed*
function calls, and didn't add anything that had been added to jqm
after the alpha releases? In that regard, this wouldn't even be a BC
break, technically, though the apps probably still stopped working if
only one of Horde or the app is upgraded.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/