[dev] Copyright questions

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Wed Aug 10 14:06:18 UTC 2011

Am Mittwoch, 27. Juli 2011, 11:50:44 schrieb Gunnar Wrobel:
> Hi!
>
> I was wondering a bit about the way we mention copyright in our code.
>
> We do have copyright notices in most of our files, sometimes PHP
> doclinks as well. and some packages (the applications) offer
> COPYING/LICENSE.
>
> The copyright statement in the code files usually mention the
> COPYING/LICENSE file that should come with the package. For the
> framework components its is usually not present though.
>
> And I don't even know if having such copyright statements in the code
> is actually needed. I once read that the COPYING/LICENSE file in a
> package would be enough. The maintenance effort of having maybe only
> two or three links to copyright information would be much lower.
>
> So I wonder a bit if we can improve the situation. It is at least
> somewhat confusing to me at the moment and if possible I would like to
> get it simpler. Does anybody know what requirements we actually
> see/have in that area? I'm willing to invest a bit of time to find out
> what kind of legal requirements exist but maybe somebody already knows.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gunnar

As nobody else jumped on this:

I'm really in favor of changing the license headers in the files to:

 * Copyright 1999-2011 The Horde Project (http://www.horde.org/)
 *
 * See the enclosed file COPYING for license information (LGPL). If you did
 * not receive this file, see http://opensource.org/licenses/lgpl-2.1.php

into

 * Copyright 1999-2011 The Horde Project (http://www.horde.org/)
 *
 * See http://opensource.org/licenses/lgpl-2.1.php
 * for license information (LGPL)

and dropping the shipped files. As long as the law-savvy agree...

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer

B1 Systems GmbH