[dev] Best strategy to store money values

Luis Felipe Marzagao lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 18:12:58 UTC 2011

Hello:

I´m using Horde_Rdo, which, by the way, is fantastic, in order to
develop an app to control clients' credits and debits.

My first impulse was to store the money amount of each transaction as
decimal(10,2) (the backend I´m testing is mysql, but I´d like to keep
things as abstracted as possible, taking advantage of Horde_Rdo).

But then I got confused about what type of Horde_Form variable and
column type (in migration style terms) should I use.

I have never developed any app involving money values and
calculations, so I could use some advice concerning the best
strategy/practice before I invest time going the wrong direction.

Any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
Luis Felipe