[dev] Horde library license headers (notices from SUSE Legal) - please advise

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Aug 16 15:44:43 UTC 2011

Quoting Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:

> Bug 712306 - Confirm licensing of php5-pear-Horde_Mime_Viewer 1.0.5
>
> The spec file claims that the package is LGPL licensed. However, the file
> lib/Horde/Mime/Viewer/Html.php contained the GPL license header shown below.
> Also, there are matches for LGPL-3.0+ in js/syntaxhighlighter/LICENSE-LGPL -
> this should also be added as a license in the spec file.
>
> STATUS: Don't know, please advise. The js seems to be owned by somebody
> outside of horde and is dual-licensed MIT and LGPL-3.0
>
> The GPL reference in Html.php seems to be copy/paste bogus. If this
> is changed
> to LGPL, the package as a whole could qualify as LGPL-3.0. I don't see how
> this package can be LGPL-2.1 like most other horde framework libs without
> splitting off the js to a separate package. However, there is no explicit
> claim for this to be LGPL-2.1.

Hmmm... the HTML code *was* originally in IMP, so it would have
originally been GPL.  So this is not a copy/paste issue.

Looking through that file... three authors are listed - Jon P, Anil,
and me.  I am almost 100% positive that then entire file has been
rewritten since Jon P and Anil worked on it.  E.g. everything related
to the new Mime_Viewer class API, and DOM parsing, is all my original
code.  I have no issues releasing under LGPL-2.1.  I believe Jon and
Anil's name is in there as a historical artifact, rather than having
any legitimate copyright to the currently existing code.

I can't speak to the syntaxhighlighting stuff since that was added by
someone else.

I would rather not release everything in the package as LGPL-3.0, so
this might need to be a case where the Syntaxhighlighting code needs
to be released in a separate package (see, e.g., Text_Filter_Csstidy).
  (I realize that the current licensing links go to a LGPL-3.0 page,
but I don't think we have ever made this decision as an organization
to do this.)

michael