[dev] traditional view app best practices

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Aug 23 19:55:11 UTC 2011

Quoting Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:

> Just want a confirmation if I understood correctly and if this still is the
> current view

I'll take a crack at this...

> Using the Horde_Form_Renderer is the preferred way of presenting new forms in
> traditional mode views compared to writing form html tags in .inc files.

This is okay and probably right for the "right now", but what we (I?)
really want is to move to forms generated by reusable Horde_View
widgets and stored with Horde_Rdo, with validation to be refactored
out of Horde_Form into a separate library (and probably integrated
with Horde_Rdo).

> Horde_Templates should not be used for new code and factored out where easily
> possible.

Right.

> The templates/ dir is still the canonical place for static html snippets.
> (The skeleton has dropped this or maybe git doesn't care about empty dirs)

Using Horde_View partials is preferred to this; they would live in app/views.

> Horde_View extensions live somewhere under lib/

Right.

-chuck