[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. 09649055a36ab8bd2841fc23c1c53526b814f6b2

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Sep 7 18:12:45 UTC 2011

Quoting Vilius Šumskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:

> I think someone already pointed out that "(c)" doesn't contain any legal
> value  and  should be replaced with a word "Copyright" (which is already
> there) *or* special symbol "©". Hence you can remove it completely.

That's not true, at least in the U.S.  Although the statue (17 USC
401(b)(1)) does declare:

"the symbol © (the letter C in a circle), or the word “Copyright”, or
the abbreviation “Copr.”"

it is widely understood that (c) == ©, especially when dealing with
character sets that don't support the copyright symbol.  Not to
mention it is much easier to type (c) then to try to figure out how to
generate the symbol.

Of course, as of the U.S. Copyright Act of 1976 (or any country that
is as signatory to the Berne convention) there is no legal requirement
to indicate copyright *at all*.  But as a practical matter, it should
be displayed.

michael