[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. 2a85e684e4ff9e367734b150942d81e35939c2bf

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Sep 14 07:23:40 UTC 2011

Zitat von Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:

> Zitat von Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:
>
>> Zitat von Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:
>>
>>> commit 32c1220a6480f4c050e8453373d1c7fbe731cc8d
>>> Author: Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>
>>> Date:   Fri Sep 9 17:35:26 2011 +0200
>>>
>>>   Replace The Horde Project with Horde LLC
>>>   I wonder how much sense it makes to ship three licenses with skeleton
>>>   when virtually all files have GPL headers inside
>>>
>>> skeleton/LICENSE.ASL                   |    4 ++--
>>> skeleton/LICENSE.BSDL                  |    2 +-
>>> skeleton/README                        |    2 +-
>>> skeleton/docs/INSTALL                  |    2 +-
>>> skeleton/index.php                     |    4 ++--
>>> skeleton/lib/Application.php           |    4 ++--
>>> skeleton/lib/Driver.php                |    4 ++--
>>> skeleton/lib/Driver/Sql.php            |    4 ++--
>>> skeleton/lib/Exception.php             |    6 +++---
>>> skeleton/lib/Factory/Driver.php        |    6 +++---
>>> skeleton/lib/Test.php                  |    4 ++--
>>> skeleton/list.php                      |    4 ++--
>>> skeleton/locale/skeleton.pot           |    2 +-
>>> skeleton/test/Skeleton/AllTests.php    |    2 +-
>>> skeleton/test/Skeleton/Autoload.php    |    6 +++---
>>> skeleton/test/Skeleton/ExampleTest.php |    2 +-
>>> 16 files changed, 29 insertions(+), 29 deletions(-)
>>>
>>> http://git.horde.org/horde-git/-/commit/32c1220a6480f4c050e8453373d1c7fbe731cc8d
>>
>> We should probably add headers for all licenses then, so that the
>> right one can easily be picked.
>>
>> Jan.
>>

> This would not be very practical for somebody who really uses
> skeleton to start an app. He would need to scan all files for
> headers to keep or delete.

I don't think that's too high of a burden, most people with probably
search & replace in an editor anyway and open each file for that. And
they already have to pick one license in the docs.

> Some of the newer framework libraries and lightweight apps come with
> a very reduced number of copyright & license headers. Either we need
> to add them to all files (I doubt this is necessary in most
> jurisdictions) or we should try to only have copyright/license
> headers where they are really needed.

IANAL so I don't have an opinion on that.

> We now offer COPYING or LICENSE files with every library. Maybe a
> boilerplate reference to that file is sufficient?

Not sure what you mean, we already have such reference. You still need
to pick one because they have different file names and are referenced
by the license names in a few places too. And you said above that you
do *not* want the user to pick such a reference.

> Other option:
>
> Maybe we can settle for a placeholder tag and I add a small helper
> script to the skeleton wiki page which replaces them for any license
> string and url?

That doesn't sound good. If at all, we need a script that generates a
complete, customized application from skeleton, asking questions about
application name, license to use, and probably a few other things, and
skeleton should not work out of the box without running that script.
But that's really a completely different (improved) approach. I don't
want anything half-way there though.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/