[dev] Horde 3's 'admin' roles in application context (observed in sesha)

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Wed Sep 14 18:14:57 UTC 2011

I just browsed around the sesha code and noticed that H3's Horde_Auth had the
capability to promote a user into "admin" role for the current context based
on a perm. Admin stuff seems to have moved out of Horde_Auth into Horde_Core
(class Horde_Registry).

In Horde 4 I did "Finer grained Admin privileges through permission api"
( http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/9350 ) and it got accepted. Originally this was
a patch targeted at H3 but I think it never went in there for good reasons.

For Sesha in Horde 4 consistency with the same logic would mean to turn all
Horde_Auth::isAdmin(sesha:admin) calls to registry->isAdmin() || $perms-
>hasPermission(sesha:administration, ... ) or drop the isAdmin thing
altogether.

I am not certain what would be consistent with existing apps.

In Kronolith, global admins or isAdmins seam to have much expanded access (but
not completely - they don't see calendars without show privileges).

However, admins (and only admins) have access to a resource's events.

System shares can also only be edited by isAdmins.

In wicked H4 otoh each item can be edited either by perm or by isAdmin(). This
is consistent with H3 where it used Horde_Auth::isAdmin() but never used the
permission argument to that method.

1) Should sesha use permissions or isAdmin or both for "admin role"?

2) Should an app-specific admin permission or a (system share/resource)
specific admin permission be added to apps which use (system shares/kronolith
resources)?

I'd vote for both on 1) but I am uncertain on 2).

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer
Mail: lang at b1-systems.de