[dev] Autoloader

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Sep 20 10:12:45 UTC 2011

> How does ours hold up?
> http://ralphschindler.com/2011/09/19/autoloading-revisited

Does the problem he tries to solve really exist? We extend our
framework classes all the time and don't have any problems mapping
those to path names in different directory trees. With individual
class mapping rules that are supported by Horde_Autoloader, even
non-standard (or any custom) paths are supported.

Regarding classmaps, I think the proposed caching autoloader
(http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/10396) is even better because it
supports 3rd party classes too. (Btw, any feedback on my proposed
package solution anyone?) It could probably be extended to populate it
with a pre-generated classmap, though I don't think that the
(one-time) slower automatic on-demand population is outweighed by the
overhead of having to create classmaps manually. It might even degrade
performance-wise if there are a *lot* of packages with classmaps, like
in our case.

Leaves the question whether it would make to add such bootstrap files
for 3rd party component consumers. This could indeed be interesting.
But as long as this doesn't become a de-facto standard, it's only
additional overhead for us (because we won't use it ourselves). If
there's a demand for such a thing though, why not.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/