[dev] Crushing temp file generation in Turba Objects

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Oct 25 17:06:17 UTC 2011

> What I don't understand is why 0b files are being created when the
> compose window is created (I see this too).

We are grabbing the full addresslist the first time we open the
compose window to determine whether we should output all the addresses
to the page or instead use AJAX lookups.  This is why temp file
generation only happens once a session for me.

Maybe we could optimize this with some other API call to Turba,
although the flip side is that if we do indeed end up needing the full
address list, we already have it and don't need to re-request.

In this situation, I disagree with the statement that the admin is
responsible for cleaning up the temp directory.  The problem here is
that, with a large installation, the temp directory will fill up
almost instantly.  And you can't go through and clean these files
immediately, because this will break users that maintain long-running
sessions.  But by the time you wait for a week or so, the number of
files could be crippling.

Granted, today's filesystems can probably handle the number of files
being created (htrees/btrees help), but it seems like the more
appropriate method would be to fix the creation problem.  As with all
things Horde_Form, however, I am of limited usefulness.

michael