[dev] Horde as a framework

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Nov 1 14:01:27 UTC 2011

> Quoting Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:
>
>> http://fabien.potencier.org/article/49/what-is-symfony2
>>
>> Good post and impressive list. This is where I think we lag behind
>> as a framework, and where we have an opportunity to either leverage
>> our own components - which are great, but which I personally have
>> less time to work on these days - or to start using some of the
>> symfony/zend/whatever components to replace our own and move
>> faster. Obviously we used to leverage more PEAR libs and there were
>> challenges to that, but maybe things have changed?
>>
>> Or maybe not. Mostly throwing this out for discussion.
>
> Personally, I would rather not start using another framework's
> components unless there was a *really* good reason. At least not for
> any type of major functionality. It's not so much about NIH for me,
> but more about control. I like the fact that we are using less and
> less PEAR libs. While it *does* increase our workload a bit (more
> libraries to maintain for one thing), it gives us *way* more
> flexibility and control. ... and while it might not always turn out
> this way, it should translate into less time to work a bug/issue (no
> headaches with getting upstream to even ack your question/bug
> report/patch etc...)
>
> Also, IMO, if we are going to continue to try to push Horde as not
> just a groupware stack, but also a PHP framework, I'm not sure
> borrowing another framework's libraries for any major functionality
> would send the right signal. We may not have the same number of
> libraries, but those that we *do* have are both extremely well
> thought out and designed to our own high standards ... at least
> that's the hope ;)

Yeah... I mean, I think Gunnar is right about some of the Symfony2
packages at least. But I also am not saying we should ditch all/most
Horde packages that have alternatives - but that if we're going to
keep them, we should have documentation and posts and examples as
compelling (imo) as the one I linked. Awkward and somewhat jerky for
me to say this since I've had so little Horde time lately. But that's
how I feel.

To some extent, I think it's about picking the spots where we think
we're really the best and pushing those, and maybe re-using packages
for some other less crucial bits.

-chuck