[dev] Horde as a framework

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Nov 2 19:25:59 UTC 2011

> Although I worry we are just going to re-fork in the long run
> anyway.  Granted it is a PEAR package, rather than a framework-y
> package, but my experience with the Mail maintainers was less than
> ideal, and necessitated the need for a local Horde fork (the current
> Mail maintainers have no concept of the difference in resource usage
> between huge strings and temp stream resources, and my
> concerns/patches were dismissed because of this lack of knowledge).

Sent this too early...

This was meaning to conclude that Horde packages, in general, contains
better code.  Horde code tends to be cleaner, both logic wise and
physical code layout wise, and unlike many other packages out there,
we also tend to be much more concerned about the performance
ramifications than most other PHP coders.  So I worry that we say we
are going to rely on outside libraries, and then 2 months later we are
re-forking because these outside packages are lacking in
clarity/performance areas.

(Note that I can't speak for Symfony/Zend framework packages since I
have no experience with them.  If they are of equal quality to our
code, than this concern is unfounded)

michael