[dev] Branches (again), Horde 4.1/5, recent IMAP changes

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Nov 2 20:28:36 UTC 2011

> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Could you elaborate on why this can NOT go in develop? I don't
>> disagree that the develop branch is a little awkward to use in some
>> cases, but I'm curious why you think so strongly that this
>> shouldn't go in there.
>
> From my example... the changes required to Horde are eventually
> going to require an updated version of Core.  But what version of
> Core is going to exist when we release the next minor version of
> Horde?  I can't store changelog information in Core's package.xml,
> because I don't know what version of Core is going to be released.
> And I can't introduce this dependency in Horde's package.xml,
> because it is unknown what version of Core is going to be released.
>
> "Placeholders" in package.xml are not an acceptable solution,
> because that screws up parsing of those files (and won't allow
> installation).  And merging in the future is going to get very
> messy, and with potentially inconsistent and/or incorrect results.
>
> So that's the problem with develop and a package-based release system.

FWIW, I completely agree with these concerns. It was the thing I kept
running into every time I tried to merge master into develop - theses
were the only places that I consistently kept getting conflicts. Right
now, since it's early in the process the conflicts are fairly easy (if
annoying) to continually have to fix - but I can see this getting out
of hand as we start releasing minor version bumps.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org