[dev] Resetting sort order in IMP

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Nov 8 22:04:48 UTC 2011

> Zitat von Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> The UI issue, as I see it: there needs to be a way to
>>> "reset/clear" the sorting back to sequence sort.  But for
>>> practical purposes, MOST users don't want or need this.  For an
>>> average user, sequence/arrival sort doesn't make much sense (at a
>>> minimum, Date sorting makes more sense).  So we need a way to
>>> allow power users to change without confusing regular users with
>>> multiple sort options.
>>
>> FWIW, I guess I've been using date sorting for so long I didn't
>> even realize that there was a way to revert it to arrival sort.
>> Personally, for the way I use email, I don't see what the benifit
>> would be of arrival sort vs date sort. I guess it's a performance
>> thing?
>
> Yes, the only place I actually use it is in the Trash folder. It has
> the added benefit that you have the messages ordered by deletion
> date then.

Yes - it is significantly faster than all other sorts because IMAP
servers MUST be optimized to handle the arrival order, since sequence
numbers are sent for every message operation.  It has the added
benefit of being able to determine the sort order without requiring an
explicit sort.  But as mentioned before, it is a bit unintuitive
because sorting by arrival may cause the message list to look "out of
order", in that the dates will not necessarily be in chronological
order.

Since sequence sort is kind of a date sort, what about adding the
ability to select within the date header.  We used to do this by
having a "subject/thread" like smaller option to switch between the
two.  However, this was confusing (for those who don't know the
difference, Date vs. Arrival seem to be referring to the same things).
  Maybe a better solution is to have a drop-down menu when clicking on
Date itself giving the two options (Chronological vs. Arrival).

michael