[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. bc5b08ba9bd5b3a0f85bb81687c44c14deee3e89

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Nov 17 07:57:03 UTC 2011

> Zitat von Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> Simplifies; also prevents wrapping of at least one example.
>>>
>>> It's just a placeholder: no need to make it 3 levels deep (I toyed
>>> with making it just /horde, but figured I would stick with 2
>>> levels so it wasn't ambiguous).  There is nothing special about
>>> /var/www
>>
>> No, nothing special per se, but a lot of distros use this directory
>> for serving www. IMO, it makes it clearer to the administrator that
>> this should be a web accessible directory.
>>
>>> - I personally have never seen any installation that serves web
>>> pages from that directory anyway.
>>
>> Every server I have every used or set up, save for one, serves web
>> out of that directory - including Horde's various sites. Not that
>> this makes it definitive, just sayin'...
>
> Yes, that's exactly the reason why I picked this one as an example
> path. For most distros it's the *real* path.

Getting a bit off the subject... but in 15+ years of dealing with
100's of servers, I honestly can't think of a single time I have ever
seen /var/www as the path.  So, at a minimum, this disconnect between
what you believe is the default and what I know indicates that
/var/www is worthless when it comes to a useful example.  (For the
record, Apache, which runs 65% of all websites, by default serves out
of /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/dir/).

As mentioned, I don't really care what we put in here, it just can't
be as long as the previous /var/www/horde - this name is simply
overkill for its purpose of being a placeholder.  And, as previously
mentioned, this lengthy name was causing lines to wrap over 80 chars,
which make those lines difficult to visually parse (not to mention
that incorrectly wrapped lines just looks tremendously unprofessional
- the horde INSTALL document is arguably the most important
documentation we have; we should do everything possible to make sure
that document is as neat and organized as can be).

Maybe this is the proper time to decide on an example directory, and
document in CODING_STANDARDS.  FWIW, I would not mind if we simply
defaulted to '/horde'.

michael