[dev] [commits] Horde branch master updated. bc5b08ba9bd5b3a0f85bb81687c44c14deee3e89

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Mon Nov 21 22:52:06 UTC 2011

Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> rašė:

>> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>>
>>> But I have other things to fight about.  But whatever we do, we
>>> have to make sure that the channel-discover line is not wrapped on
>>> 80-column displays, unlike before.
>>
>> I already didn't understand this the first time. How is that an
>> issue, beside that it doesn't "look good"? In the website version
>> this is not an issue, and if you copy and paste it from the
>> console, there will be no line breaking in the copied code. I think
>> that's a moot point and since this seems to be the driving issue
>> for you we should simply revert to the old path.
>
> Because it looks very unprofessional.  One of the ways we stand-out
> compared with other projects is the detail and presentation of our
> product.  Going through the INSTALL file, this was an example that,
> quite frankly, looked like it didn't belong (same thing with a
> prominent TODO in the DB section.  Stuff like this just makes it
> look like the project is half-complete.  TODOs need to stay out of
> user-specific documentation).
>
>> And by the way, for most users is *is* as simple as dropping Horde
>> into a directory, and we've been working hard to get to this point.
>> Also, and I think we made this clear by now, even though /var/www
>> might not mean anything to you, it does for a good majority of
>> administrators.
>
> Except this won't work for the majority of installations since in
> many cases, PHP needs to be reinstalled.  E.g. debian, who AFAICT
> ships PHP compiled against libxml 2.6.  Which will break a bunch of
> stuff in IMP (not to mention it apparently comes pre-installed with
> suhosin...)

Not sure about Debian but given my ten years of experience on RPM
based distributions compiling software manually is a very very bad
thing to do. It usually breaks more stuff than fixes. Anyway libxml
2.6 is so old that I hardly believe any supported distributions except
for slow moving and convervative Debian still uses it. And even if it
was so IMHO Horde should find a ways how to be runnable on supported
platforms, without proposing completely different ways of installing
software than original OS distributors intended. In fact I've even
wanted to propose to completely remove INSTALL part which talks about
installing requirements for Horde. Or at least it should be more
generally discussed for a few different Linux packager that are our
there. Like:

"For RPM based Fedora, RedHat, CentOS, Scientific Linux use yum
install php-xml"
"For DEB based Debian, Ubuntu... use sudo apt install php-......"
etc.

This is where all major distributions are heading anyway. Compiling
should be the last resort.

Returning to the original issue; considering all points I made above
/var/www looks more professional to me. At least when I see a RPM
based system with installed web applications to /var/www, I consider
it administered by a good sysadmin.

Also another great read:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM There was in fact some movement from various distributions to change /var/www in packages to /srv/www. But that's still
pending.