[dev] A Slave for the ci.horde.org butler (status)

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Mon Jan 16 09:53:44 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

New year is a good time to remember old promises and bringing a slave
worker for ci.horde.org was one of mine in 2011.
It's not finished yet. Here's the status.

1) Our current setup assumes that certain jobs (horde-git, php-ci-tools)
have run before others *on the same node*. This is an assumption the
jenkins devs say we should not make. With only one slave, running them
exclusively on master and rsyncing them to the slave or by manually
running them on the slave initially seems to be sufficient.

2) The base projects horde-git, php-ci-tools and php-dependencies ship
config files which are not copied to the jenkins worker node.
My approach is to prepare a default running environment for slaves
similar to the one horde-support brings for master and add generating
this (but not syncing it to slave) to the make script.

3) The jenkins slave uses a different directory layout than the master.
Basically the slave worker uses other relative paths than the master and
won't accept any configs known to me which tell him otherwise.
This has caused me a little headache but after some tweaking in the
config files, horde-git, php-ci-tools and php-dependencies build. (Well,
horde-git throws the same error as on ci.horde.org but this doesn't hurt)
The libraries seem to build now, but there is still something wrong with
the generation of reports and unit tests. I'll check back with Gunnar
when I managed to make everything build on master and slave with the
same config.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer