[dev] Dynamic view prefs removed?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Feb 3 22:21:45 UTC 2012

> Why were the dynamic view prefs removed in develop?
>
> A considerable amount of time was spent making those work - these
> prefs were added to allow using a single application in traditional
> mode, while still using dynamic mode for everything else that allows
> it. This was a requested feature from users that wished to continue
> using a traditional interface when it contained functionality that
> was unavailable on the dynamic version.

Not in IMP's case.  It was created to allow a user to indicate their
view preference in the case where hordeauth was being used, so the
user would NEVER be able to select their view mode.  It was a hack.
It was NEVER meant to allow a user to login via the dynamic mode and
then decide that they want to view IMP in traditional mode instead.
That may be possible with the current setup, but that is incorrect
behavior and an unfortunate side-effect.

Going forward, if you login with dynamic mode, an application (if it
has a dynamic mode) should show you its dynamic mode.  There should
not be a preference overriding this.  Which makes sense - if I log via
traditional mode on my mobile device, I should never see an
application give me dynamic mode.

> I know going forward we are aiming to only support a single desktop
> view, but until the traditional views are actually removed I think
> we should still support this feature.

I disagree.  And I did not realize there were plans to remove the
traditional view.  In IMP's case, that should not happen.  Although I
don't personally agree, many people prefer the traditional mode.

> This will also prevent us releasing an application with a new
> dynamic view until it is *fully* functional. As an example, Hermes
> has a work-in-progress dynamic view that is functional for 90% of
> the use-cases, but still lacks some functionality. It is far easier
> to deselect the option for using the dynamic view by default then it
> is to have to logout then login again under traditional to use those
> features, then log out and in again to continue using e.g., IMP's
> dynamic view.

The new system is designed to allow applications that don't have
multiple views to work seamlessly.  It is the application's decision
which view to display.  That is why 4.0 applications work fine with
4.1 applications.

I'm sure there are a few things that need to be tweaked - notification
handlers probably need to be adjusted per page depending on the
current application's view mode - but none of these concerns seem to
be a problem with the design, just the execution as of now.

michael