[dev] Fwd: Re: AJAX Framework changes

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sat Feb 4 16:47:51 UTC 2012

> Quoting Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:
>
>>> I hate to bring this up again, but I think there *is* a break here
>>> that would prevent current x.0 applications from working correctly
>>> on 4.1. For instance, I just tried to use my local Hermes install,
>>> I am now completely unable to get it to load the dynamic view
>>> because it is still looking for the 'mode' session setting that was
>>> removed/changed for 4.1. This is exactly the type of issue I was
>>> trying to avoid by moving the view determination out of the
>>> application's scope into Core. Yes, Hermes isn't yet released for
>>> H4, but the method it used for determining the view to load is
>>> identical to the method Kronolith and Imp used.
>>>
>>> There is also the loss of functionality I described in my other
>>> email regarding the ability to explicitly ask for the traditional
>>> vs dynamic view for each application, but that discussion I'll
>>> leave for the other thread.
>>>
>>> These type of changes, IMO, should require a major version bump.
>>
>> It may sound naive but isn't there a feasible way to make pre-4.1
>> applications use their ways and methods of determining ajax or not
>> independently of 4.1 added features / changed
>> "classic"/default/now-standard way of displaying menu?
>
> Yes.  IIRC, the 'mode' session variable from Horde_Core is simply
> the stored value of the login screen.  It is NOT meant to indicate
> the current view mode for the Horde login.  Because this simply
> doesn't exist in Horde 4.0.

Unless I don't understand what you mean by "current view mode", that
is how it was used. If login choice was "Dynamic" then every
application would display dynamic if it was available, period. If it
was "Traditional", every app would display traditional. "Auto" would
choose dynamic if it was available, unless the user pref was to not
use the dynamic mode for a particular app. The only difference now
that the user perceives is that can no longer use the dynamic view of
one app along with the traditional view of another app.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org