[dev] some issues regarding Thunderbird and Horde cooperation

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Feb 6 06:59:52 UTC 2012

Quoting Maciej Uhlig <maciej.uhlig at us.edu.pl>:

> 1. localized Thunderbird sents Content-Description: header line with
> non-encoded 8-bit data (diacritic marks); this is formally incorrect
> (I.e. Thunderbird bug). In this case Horde displays (in a message view)
> something like "Resource id #593 (1 KB)" (instead of description) and
> even doesn't try to decrypt the message. Horde receives from IMAP server
> full header line with diacritic marks non-encoded. What do you think:
> should Horde workaround this issue and recode this header line in order
> to get S/MIME encrypted message instead of cryptic "Resource id #593 (1
> KB)"? After all, Content-Description is not the most important thing there.

This has nothing to do with S/MIME.  This has to do with certain IMAP
servers being liberal about what they return as header data.  This has
been fixed in the Imap_Client package.

> 2. Thunderbird sents Content-Type header line without
> "smime-type=enveloped-data" (it is well-known Thunderbird bug and TB
> people aren't able fo fix it literally for years). In this case Horde is
> unable to decrypt the message (it requires "smime-type" parameter
> presence). What do you think: could Horde make deeper analysis of data
> in case of "smime-type" parameter absence and still try to decrypt the
> message?

Not a big fan of doing this, but this should be a fairly rare
occurrence so I guess I am ok with doing additional searches if the
smime-type parameter does not exist at all.  This has been fixed for
5.0.19.

michael