[dev] Personal migration scripts

Gonçalo Queirós goncalo.queiros at portugalmail.net
Mon Feb 13 14:30:18 UTC 2012

Don't think the changes will be accepted, since they are a bit divergent
from what horde is doing :-)
    I understand your point when you say that the scripts need to ensure
that the db is in a certain state, but if i run my own custom scripts, the
problem will still exist. I know that from the time i change the DB
structure i will have to be very careful every time i upgrade the db using
the new Horde migration scripts, but thats my responsibility.
    I was just thinking that it would be nice to be able to use the
Horde_Migrator to create this custom scripts :-)

    Thanks anyway,
    Gonçalo

    Citando Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
> Quoting Gonçalo Queirós <goncalo.queiros at portugalmail.net>:
>> If someone wants to make a migration script for Kronolith (ex), he will
>>    have to look into the migraiton folder and create a new file with the
>>    correct version number.
>>    The problem is that this will only last until Horde creates a new
>>    migration script, because after that, the migrator will refuse
>> to migrate,
>>    since it detects two files with same version number.
>>    Is there anyway to circumvent this problem? I tried naming the
>> file with a
>>    float version number, but it didn't work, but i think it could be a good
>>    solution.
>   IMO, this is asking for trouble. If you run a local migration that
> is not in the upstream codebase, you will run into a number of
> prolems. As you discovered, the local migration will increment the
> schema version so any future upstream migrations will not run. In
> addtion, even if you could implement some form of floating numbered
> migration versioning that would allow your migration to run, once
> you modify the schema you no longer have ANY guarentee that future
> upstream migrations will work correctly, since they rely on the
> structure of the database to be known at any point in the version
> tree.
>
>   My recommendation if you require local changes to the schema would
> be for you to run custom sql scripts, possibly after each upgrade
> since the schema of the database may change between versions.
> ALternatively, you could of course attempt to submit your changes
> upstream for inclusion :)
>
>   --
>   mike
>
>   The Horde Project (www.horde.org[1])mrubinsk at horde.org