[dev] Horde 5 was: Re: [commits] Horde branch develop updated. fa956a4d83a7227e2a5d47bfe87185854e151fbc

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Wed Feb 22 07:55:41 UTC 2012

>> When we discussed the new release model for Horde 4, one of the
>> important points was indeed that we don't want to fear breaking BC
>> if we consider it necessary to go forward. I say we have reached
>> this point, and instead of spending too much time in such
>> discussions and causing frustrations, we should make the next
>> release Horde 5.
>> I already considered to bring this up before this thread started,
>> because if we really manage to get the new design in place for the
>> next release, this would probably be a large enough change for the
>> end users that it warrants and a new major version, even if we
>> didn't break BC.
>>
>> If everyone could agree to this, let's go forward with Horde 5 (and
>> let's quickly update any conference, paper, article applications
>> that mentioned 4.1).
>
> Being the one who sort-of initiated this point, I probably should be
> saying +1 with an exclamation mark.  But just a couple of thoughts:
>
> * The issue with me jumping major versions (despite Firefox/Chrome's
> attempt at a paradigm shift) is that it suggests there are going to
> be major changes to installation and config.  I don't believe that
> is going to be the case.

Yes. I would say that was one major focus as well as a major success
of Horde 4.0: Making upgrades rather simple so that we could release
faster and the admins could upgrade faster. So there shouldn't be any
changes there.

On the user side a major version change may sometimes be associated
with grand changes on the surfaces. But as you mentioned there exist
different paradigms out there and I think each project has to decide
what model fits best.

Horde has been pretty strict concerning the versioning scheme and I
think we all agreed we stick to semantic versioning
(http://semver.org/ and http://wiki.horde.org/Doc/Dev/ReleaseCycle).
There is *nothing* that mentions major changes to the configuration
scheme or the installation procedure in the versioning document.

Horde is also a development framework and I believe we should keep
sticking to semantic versioning. If this is not transparent on the
user side we need to ensure we make this more obvious.

>  Most of the things that will be changing will be core-stuff;
> looking at 4.1 (or 5.0) as an end-user, you are really not going to
> notice a difference.

I do believe there will be quite some changes concerning the UI in March.

> Maybe this is just an educational thing.  But I wonder if some users
> will be a bit hesitant to upgrade solely because they fear things
> are going to break.

As mentioned above: I think the upgrade path is one thing that has
seen significant improvements with 4.0. I repeat this over and over
whenever I have the chance: The Horde installation may not be trivial
but the updates are and I believe the latter is what counts. It
doesn't hurt to repeat that the same is true even for major versions.

Cheers,

Gunnar