[dev] Horde_Group_Contactlists

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Feb 22 08:26:38 UTC 2012

> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>>
>>> Why does this exist when you can't configure this in config?  It
>>> was added here:
>>>
>>> commit 92619b968b1e47d3b0af5f8efb23775fc26f4519
>>> Author: Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>
>>> Date:   Sat Mar 5 18:06:17 2011 +0100
>>>
>>>   Implement Contactlists driver.
>>>
>>> .../Group/lib/Horde/Group/ContactListObject.php    |  109 ------
>>> framework/Group/lib/Horde/Group/Contactlists.php   |  377
>>> ++++----------------
>>> .../Group/test/Horde/Group/ContactlistTest.php     |   73 ++++
>>> framework/Group/test/Horde/Group/Stub/Api.php      |   97 +++++
>>> 4 files changed, 238 insertions(+), 418 deletions(-)
>>>

>>> At a minimum, this should not be living in Horde_Group.  It should
>>> be moved to Horde_Core_Group_Contactlists, since it can not be
>>> used outside of Horde.
>>
>> I believe this is a refactoring of the contactlist driver I wrote
>> for SAPO.  It was written before we really heavily refactored for
>> Horde 4, which is probably why it's not in Core.
>>
>> I agree though, that going forward this should be moved to Core (if
>> we even need to keep it in our tree).
>
> Is it useful for users?

Probably only for a very small minority of installs. There are
obviously many limitations.

  If so, I don't have any objection into
> cleaning it up.  Although the performance right now was horrible -

Yes. The performance is indeed ridiculously bad. IIRC, finding what
groups a single user belonged to was impossible without iterating ALL
contact lists for all users. A limitation of Turba's design. I
originally wanted to use some kind of hook/callback to mirror the
group data to some new data structure that would make this easier but
the original requirements were to use only Turba data. Going forward
we might think about implementing some new, additional group data
structure in Turba though I have no idea if this would work for
non-sql sources.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)