[dev] Horde 5?

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Wed Feb 29 07:00:29 UTC 2012

Sveiki,

Wednesday, February 29, 2012, 5:14:21 AM, you wrote:

> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>>> Actually I did so myself: I did integrate several Horde 4
>>> components with the Zend 1 framework. This works just fine. But of
>>> course you loose the version control context if you do so. Which is
>>> a pity in the long run.

>>> Try to bridge Horde with Zend framework 2 and Symfony 2 in the
>>> context of a larger coding project. Pulling a monolihic repository
>>> will not be an option. Working based on PEAR will mean that no
>>> patches will be contributed back. Or at least it will be harder.
>>
>> I still think that external consumers should be using PEAR.
>> Otherwise, why are we publishing them? Why would a monolithic
>> repository not be an option? How would that be different from having
>> to use some custom-to-horde toolchain in order to manage the
>> multiple git repositories that would be necessary to use some of our
>> components? I'm not saying you are wrong, I just don't understand
>> the reasoning here. Either way, there would have to be some magic
>> involved on the external developer's side.

> For developers, now, the easiest way to check out code is to click
> "clone" on github. If I'm interested in a specific library, but I have
> to clone a giant repo, that's a barrier. I think ultimately, if we
> want to bring in developers, they'll find our other repositories if
> our code is good.

That's  another  good  point  why  I  think  Horde  should  NOT  split
repositories.  As I said before, only few Horde libraries can actually
live  on  their  own. Developer still needs to *know* all dependencies
somehow  and  clone  all  of  them  on github. Think Horde_Autoloader,
Horde_Translation, etc. Without these libraries most of the checkedout
code    would   not  be very useful.  Or  does github supports 3rd party scripts
for such cases?

I'm   now   starting  to  think  that  maybe,  just  maybe,  those  few
libraries   like   ActiveSync   and  Imap_Client  could  live in both
main  current  Horde  repository  and  their own separate ones. In the
separate  repository they could even have different release timeframes
and different BC policy than that in Horde.

--
Best regards,
 Vilius