[dev] Horde 5?

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Feb 29 14:37:03 UTC 2012

Quoting Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at horde.org>:

> The point is not *using* the package for development. I'm fine with
> people using a stable release for their own development work. That
> makes sense and is what you should do when you start with external
> libraries.
>
> The point I'm trying to make is about crossing the border from
> *using* the code to *contributing* to the code. While you can patch
> a PEAR package you should not. This is released code and outside of
> the development context. Files could have been modified by PEAR
> tasks during the installations and the file paths obviously will
> change during the installation. And of course you lack "git diff"
> and other stuff once you start modifying the library.
>
> Without having had a closer look into composer - the way I
> understand their model it works as follows:
>
> You start using a Horde library by declaring the PEAR dependency for
> your project:
>

> {
>     "repositories": [
>         {
>             "type": "pear",
>             "url": "http://pear.horde.org"
>         },
>     ],
>     "require": {
>         "Horde_ActiveSync": "1.0.0"
>     }
> }
>
> Once you hit a problem and need to contribute back, you would switch
> to git so that you can work in development context.
>
> {
>     "repositories": [
>         {
>             "type": "pear",
>             "url": "http://pear.horde.org"
>         },
>         {
>             "type": "vcs",
>             "url": "git://github.com/horde/Horde_ActiveSync.git"
>         }
>     ],
>     "require": {
>         "Horde_ActiveSync": ">=1.0.0"
>     }
> }
>
> Once upstream releases you can switch back.
>
> I admit that this is only theory for me at the moment. I didn't try
> it myself yet. But the above example is what I would strive for. If
> it turns out to be far less easy than what I depicted here I would
> probably change my mind :)

Ah. Ok. I was under the impression that tools like that were only
useful in one context or the other I did not realize that they allowed
you to switch your *existing* code back and forth from a development
to production context and back again. That *does* seem nifty, albeit
probably very complicated and error prone :)

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org